Welcome to the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Klinikum Ernst von Bergmann.
As a maximum-care hospital, we are one of the biggest clinical hospitals in the region of Brandenburg. We are a motivated team of medical professionals, who are looking forward to deliver the top-quality care and services in the field of thoracic surgery, at par with the national and international standards.
Through close multidisciplinary collaboration with our colleagues specialising in pulmonology, oncology, radiotherapy, radiology, nuclear medicine, anaesthesiology, intensive care and physiotherapy, each case is discussed and managed to provide high-quality patient-centred care. We will take into account each individual patient’s circumstances, and views. Other members of the team, such as intensive physiotherapy, respiratory therapy and outpatient follow-up service at polyclinic are also available to provide advice for additional care to patients and promote to reduce hospital readmission.
- Annual International Uniportal VATS symposium with live broadcast from the Operating Room (OR) to the Villa Bergmann in Potsdam and a hands-on training (wetlab) in Wendisch Rietz. Further information can be found at www.uniportalvats.de
- Training Course VATS - Lobectomy, "Uniportal Vs. Multiportal - the decision is yours!” in cooperation with Ethicon
- Competence Center for Thoracic Surgery, Charité University Hospital, Berlin, Germany
- Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery Unit (UCTMI), Coruña Hospital, Coruña, Spain
- Krankenhaus Nordwest, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- Policlinico Universitario Agostino Gemelli, Rome, Italy
- Shanghai Pulmonary Hospital, Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chirurgie (DGCH)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Thoraxchirurgie (DGT)
- European Society of Thoracic Surgeons (ESTS)
- ESTS Executive Board Member for the Uniportal VATS Interest Group (UVIG)
- Working Group Minimal-Invasive Thoracic Surgery (Uniportal VATS)
The Department of Thoracic Surgery specialises in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of diseases involving organs within the chest (thorax).
Our team, comprised of internationally renowned thoracic surgeons, offers one of the minimally invasive surgical methods for patients: uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopy (U-VATS).
This "keyhole technique" with a camera and a scar of only about 2-4 cm can be used for all indications. With this method, postoperative pain can be reduced and a faster recovery of patients after surgery can be achieved. To further improve the results, preoperative and postoperative supportive respiratory therapy are essential.
We offer you the entire spectrum of thoracic surgery. Our department is always seeking for the best and most innovative approach for the patient, complemented by the state-of-the-art technology. For the minimally invasive operations, we use both the 4K (4,000 pixels) and 3D technique. We are also equipped with the cutting-edge equipment and systems to ensure patient safety and efficacy of the operations. For patients with technical challenging tumours, we offer the new surgical technique by laser and the so-called hybrid-surgery.
In order to guarantee optimal patient care at an international level in the future, we promote cooperation with other institutions and dynamic scientific exchange through research.
We cover all types of thoracic pathology.
Benign Lung Diseases
- Removal of cysts and bronchiectasis
- pulmonary volume-reducing surgery, for emphysema
Malignant Lung Diseases
- Lung cancer (carcinoma) with possible extension of the surgery:
· bronchoplasty (reconstruction of bronchus)
· angioplasty (reconstruction of blood vessels)
· Resection of pericardium
· Removal and reconstruction of Chest Wall
- Metastatic tumour (originated from lung cancer or other organs), also under the guidance of intrathroacic laser and/or ultrasound.
Benign and Malignant Diseases of the Mediastinum
- Thymectomy (removal of the thymus), in thymoma and/or myasthenia gravis
- Removal of mediastinal thyroid glands and parathyroid glands
Diseases of the Pleura
- Pleural mesothelioma with Hyperthermic intrathoracic chemotherapy (HITHOC)
- Thoracentesis (pleural effusion drainage - PleurX catheter)
- Pulmonary fistula
- Lung injuries
Infectious pulmonary processes
- Pleural empyema
- Lung abscess (Aspergilloma)
Deformity of the Chest Wall
- Pectus excavatum (“sunken chest”), corrected by “Nuss”-procedure
Abnormality in Diaphragm
Outpatient Clinic / Consultation Hours
General thoracic surgery consultation hours in the outpatient clinic take place
Mondays 08:00-10:00 a.m.
Thursdays 12:00-16:00 p.m.
Please make an appointment via the following telephone number. Tel.: 0331.241-3 5342
You'll find us at the Polyclinic, J1.