The name giver of the hospital is the surgeon Ernst von Bergmann (1836-1907).
Such as Robert Koch in the field of bacteriology and the physicist Wilhelm Röntgen in the field of radiotherapy at their time Ernst von Bergmann was an influencing physician in the development of modern surgery.
The hospital evolved from the “Städtische Krankenhaus Potsdam” with more than 60 locations. Already in 1765 the Plague-Hospital of Potsdam was built on todays campus. The external appearance of the building has been largely preserved and to this day - albeit with modernised facilities adapted to current standards - it is used to provide care for patients. In 1899, this site saw the first appendectomy in Potsdam performed by then visiting physician Geheimrat Prof. Dr. Ernst von Bergmann.
For many years, the hospital operated with the two departments of surgery and internal medicine.
Large parts of the hospital were destroyed in World War Two bombing raids. After 1945, major building programmes were initiated in order to rebuild destroyed buildings and add new ones. A gynaecological department was built and a pathological department set up.
At the end of the 1960s, the organisation was divided into 20 specialist units, a structure that largely corresponds to the current one. The tradition of excellent medical care was further continued with the new buildings (brought into service in 1983). As the result, the departments of ophthalmology, ENT, urology, neonatology and obstetrics and others were integrated into this site. The department of internal diseases was split into separate specialist units such as nephrology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, haematology, oncology and cardiology.
The particular initiators of this essential measure for quality increase and quality assurance were Prof. Dr. Roeding, former Director of Surgery and for many years Medical Director, and Prof. Dr. Remde, former Director of Internal Medicine.
The Department of Psychiatry opened as a new discipline in 1992 and in November 1996 moved to the new building at the external site Aue 59-61. In addition to the Department of Psychiatry and the Psychiatric Day Hospital, the Department for Infectious Diseases and the Rabies Advice Centre have also moved there from disbanded former site at Hermannswerder.
In 1997, the Department of Surgery was significantly expanded as the result of its split into three new departments: General and Visceral Surgery, Accident and Restorative Surgery and Vascular and Thoracic Surgery. Neurology as a new department became operational in September 1997. Patient rooms with up to twelve beds are a thing of the past; in line with modern standards, patient rooms are generally occupied by a maximum of four patients.
These days, the Klinikum Ernst von Bergmann gemeinnützige GmbH is a general hospital providing tertiary care, with the regional capital Potsdam as its shareholder. The medical centre is included in the hospital plan of the federal state of Brandenburg. It pursues charitable purposes exclusively and directly as defined in the German Fiscal Code.
On the basis of statutes passed by the city council, with effect from 1 January 1994, the Clinical Centre was operated as an organisationally and economically independent enterprise wholly owned by the City of Potsdam without constituting a legal entity in its own right; its task was to operate economically efficient, independently and with its own institutions in accordance with its statutes.
The Klinikum Ernst von Bergmann gemeinnützige GmbH was established on 13 August 2002 with retrospective effect from 1 January 2002 by demerging the assets of the municipal enterprise Klinikum Ernst von Bergmann from the household of the Regional Capital Potsdam in accordance with the regulations of the Reorganisation of Companies Act. The call date for the split was 31 December 2001 24:00. From this point in time, all actions by the municipal enterprise Klinikum Ernst von Bergmann concerning the transferred assets are considered as having been done on behalf of the new company. The City of Potsdam is the sole shareholder. The company was entered into commercial register at the Potsdam district court on 1 October 2002.
On 13 August 2002, the first managing director of the company was appointed as part of the company's first general meeting. Following legal clarification, the first Works Council was elected on 12 February 2003 in line with the German Industrial Constitution Act. The constitutive meeting of the Board of Management took place on 14 April 2003.
Klinikum Ernst von Bergmann gGmbH was entered into commercial register at the Potsdam district court on 1 October 2002. In line with the principles of legal succession, the employees of the former municipal enterprise were transferred to the new company. With the effectiveness of the demerger by entering the company in the commercial register of the City of Potsdam, the employment contracts were transferred to the new company.